Monday, July 23, 2007

One Local Summer, Meal 5

Our local meal this week was maybe one of the best we've had so far, and I sincerely mean that in spite of the fact that I say this every week. We ate out on our new picnic table in the yard, which was great except for the annoying little gnats all over the place. Onil, Amy and I dealt with it, but the Littlest Lord of All was so completely grossed out that she didn't finish all of her corn and went stomping in the house while the rest of us finished up. She is definitely a teen-ager, and truly the Little Lord.

When Onil and I bought our Daisy flour a couple of weeks ago (and how many times have I typed "Daisy flower" and had to correct it? Oh, like a billion) we noticed a bag of cornmeal on the shelf next to it. We bought it because:
    1) We like cornbread,
    2) It's produced by Haldeman Mills in Manheim, and
    3) The packaging totally cracked us up.

Take a look:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I mean, really. Who wouldn't want to buy a product with a picture of their granddad on the front?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


BBQ Chicken - Chicken breasts and legs, Pennfield Farms, Lancaster (8 miles) by way of Sensenig Poultry, Lititz (7 miles). Believe it or not, this was the first time I made bone-in chicken on the grill because I am deathly afraid of undercooking chicken. This time I decided to be brave and give it a try. It turned out great. Rubbed with dry herbs and spices (probably none of it local but mixed up by me) and slathered with my homemade BBQ sauce.

Turkey Apple Sausage - Sensenig Poultry, Lititz (7 miles). This is the reappearance of the turkey apple sausage we had on July 4th. You will probably see this again as it is only $2.99 a pound and outrageously delicious.

Corn on the Cob - Nolt's farm stand, Manheim (2 miles).

Quick Pickled Cucumbers - Produce from Millersville (13 miles) by way of Eastern Farmer's Market, Lancaster city.

Cornbread - Cornmeal from Haldeman Mills, Manheim (7 miles), wheat flour from Daisy Flour, Annville (16 miles), egg from Meadow Run Farm, Lititz (12 miles), milk from Kreider Dairies, Manheim (2 miles), honey from Stockins Apiary, Strasburg (21 miles). I was thinking it was going to be like the Jiffy cornbread mix, but it was a little heavier than I'm used to. Maybe because of the wheat flour? It was delicious anyway.

Cantaloupe Juice - Nolt's farm stand, Manheim (2 miles), honey from Stockins Apiary, Strasburg (21 miles) by way of Eastern Farmer's Market, Lancaster city. This is a Filipino specialty. Using this tool...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


... Onil scraped out a cantaloupe to make strings. He then mixed the juice, the strings and a few spoonfuls of honey in a pitcher, then filled to the top with ice water and mixed well. Perfect for a summer day.

Finally, dessert!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


We stopped off at Central Market in Lancaster city as well and picked up a couple of individual cherry cheesecakes. I'm not sure if the ingredients were local and I don't remember exactly where they were made, but it was definitely Lancaster county. I also got a springerle cookie at Central Market. It was made by The Springerle House in Strasburg (21 miles) and I just couldn't resist. Look at the detail on this cookie:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Just exquisite, and so yummy. All washed down with a glass of Kreider milk, Manheim (2 miles).

8 comments:

TURBOchic said...

Faith,

Doesn't that crazy picture crack you up? It's certainly not flattering, but too funny not to post.

As for the okra I just pulled a recipe out of thin air. I use a touch of milk-unmeasured-to get the okra sticky. Just pour in a little a and stir and repeat until the okra is covered. Then I just add a little corn meal and self-rising flour unless the sitcky mess is covered some more. Obviously, the ratio of cornmeal to flour is a preferance issue. I add more flour than cornmeal so that it's not quite so gritty. I alos use white cornmeal over yellow, because that's what we had at the house. Then just fry it up in whatever oil you feel comfortable using. I used veggie oil, but you can use whatever you think gives the best flavor. I let everyone salt and pepper at the table, because I like mine plain and the Hubby likes his saltier.

The best part is you can't mess it up! I'm sure that your Hubby will still think it's God's ambrosia!

meresy_g said...

Hey, I have that cornmeal in my pantry right now! That what I will eventually use for polenta. So you made it to Eastern market? How was it? I have yet to get there. YOur meal looks great. Everything looks so yummy!

Faith said...

Jen - Your crazy picture really cracked me up. You're a brave woman for posting it. Also, thanks for the okra info. It looks like you don't need to do much to okra, because it is just that scary awesome. Kiss from Jesus, indeed.

M - Yes, we did make it to Eastern Market and truthfully, we were disappointed. There were only two produce stands, one meat, cheese and honey stand, and a few craft stands. That was it. It's possible that we hit an off day for them (although we did manage to get some local beef, honey, potatoes and cucumbers there). We wound up going over to Central Market, too. I wanted to go to Eastern Market because I heard they had some unusual vegetables and I've been searching high and low for fresh lima beans. Have you seen any in your travels? Maybe they're not in season yet?

Faith said...

Oh, also -- I was right! Everyone wants a product with a picture of their granddad on the front!

meresy_g said...

I planted lima beans and they aren't ready yet, so maybe their season is a little later. But I don't know much about them so I could be wrong. I haven't seen any either. That is too bad about Eastern Market. I was expecting something big and multicultural. Maybe I'lll stick to Central Market.

Faith said...

If you don't mind, let me know when your lima beans are ready and I'll start looking around the farm stands for them. I have fond memories of shelling limas and shucking corn with my mom on a hot summer day. Mmmm... corn and limas. One of my favorite summertime treats.

I was expecting Eastern Market to be big and multicultural, too. Like maybe a block or so of vendors. It was in a small parking lot -- we kept thinking that maybe there were more vendors and we were missing them, but that was really it. I will say, though, that everything there was local, as opposed to Central Market. I was disappointed to see that CM had so many vendors selling out of season produce. Until we get our own place and plant our own garden, I think I'm going to stick with the farm stands in Manheim.

Mikaela said...

Great OLS meal! :)

mary grimm said...

Canteloupe juice--what a great idea!