Monday, July 16, 2007

One Local Summer, Meal 4

I am totally stealing from Meredith at Edge Effect again this week and having breakfast for Meal #4. Onil and I had been talking about doing a breakfast meal last week and Meredith's yummy breakfast from last week inspired me to actually do it.

Also, we had a special guest this weekend: the illustrious Captain John Sniff!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Captain John Sniff (aka Cappy, Johnny, Cap'n John, Rotten Boy) is my dog but is staying with Amy and Anna at their dad's house for a while because we're not allowed to have pets at our apartment (the landlord doesn't know about Kitty or Nutmeg). Amy and Anna were with their dad and stepmom at Knoebel's this weekend, so rather than see Cappy go to a kennel I said we'd take him. He was very well-behaved and my best friend all weekend. I'd like to take him for the weekend more often.

Anyway, our local meal. We had bacon and eggs with blueberry pancakes:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Bacon - Meadow Run Farm, Lititz (12 miles)

Eggs - Meadow Run Farm, Lititz (12 miles). This was the first time since I was a little kid that I had fresh eggs. I mean, just-laid-that-morning fresh eggs. Oh my heck, Onil and I were blown away by how good they tasted! You people with your own chickens and a steady supply of fresh eggs are so lucky! We made scrambled eggs with Kreider's milk in Manheim (2 miles).

Blueberry Pancakes - Whole Wheat Flour from Daisy Flour, Annville (16 miles), Milk from Kreider Dairies, Manheim (2 miles), Egg from Meadow Run Farm, Lititz (12 miles), blueberries from NJ (not local).

Blueberry Syrup - Masonic Homes Orchards, Elizabethtown (15 miles). I melted down Wild Blueberry jam and added some water to thin it out and a little bit of lemon zest for flavor.

Milk - Kreider Dairies, Manheim (2 miles)

One thing I have to add that has been amusing in this whole eating locally thing, is how old-fashioned it all tends to be. For example, I read about Meadow Run and decided to check out their farm market, because there are vegetable stands everywhere in Lancaster county but you have to really suss out your meats. Well.... calling it a "farm market" is being very generous. It amounted to a small shed with two freezers for meats and a refrigerator for eggs. You take your meat and eggs (which are marked with the price), write down on a steno pad what you're taking, how much it weighs and how much it costs, and put your money in an open cash box. I can't tell you how much I love that we're supporting this kind of economy, where honesty is given a chance and the cash goes to the farmer and not to a corporation. And damn if the food doesn't taste a billion times better, too.

7 comments:

Mikaela said...

Blueberry syrup... yum! :D

meresy_g said...

Your blueberry pancakes look great. And the eggs do taste better, don't they? I always thought maybe it was my imagination cause I love me some chickens, but I guess it is true. Awesome that you are finding so much close by! How was the bacon?

TURBOchic said...

How cute is Cap'n Sniff?! and how great is that name?! Fabulous. Absolutely Fantastic. Great jobs on all your meals. It look like OLS is really working out for you. Keep it up!

Faith said...

Meredith, it is definitely not your imagination. Fresh eggs are head and shoulders above grocery store eggs. We also have Sauder's Eggs in Lititz which of course could be counted as local, but they're mass-produced and I wanted to give free-range eggs a try. Holy cats, were we surprised. We were like, Wow... this tastes really... eggy. I don't think I'm ever going back to store-bought eggs again. The bacon was also good. Not as salty as store-bought bacon and with more of a meaty taste.

Faith said...

Thanks, Jen! This challenge has been so much fun!

Mikaela said...

Cute little poochie - I hope he got a nibble of your OLS meal :)

Faith said...

Yes, he did. Some of the egg fell on the stove as I was plating it so he got that. He was hoping for a little bacon, too, but we kept that all for ourselves. Tough luck! :o)