Thursday, July 5, 2007

One Local Summer, Meal 2: Independence Day Edition

I made our Fourth of July cookout our second local summer meal, and this one turned out really great! Onil and I went to Roots farmer's market on Tuesday and picked up a bunch of stuff, but I also found a few meat producers there with their own stores. That way, I can pick up locally-produced meat at their stores without having to take a day off from work to go to Roots. I had originally intended to use just Lancaster county products, but I'm making it easier on myself and extending my range to within 100 miles. I'm also going to steal from my friend Meresy_G at Edge Effect and include the range in miles for each item.



Pork Chops - Hatfield (89 miles). Rubbed with a dry rub of herbs and spices and grilled. Basted with a mixture of brown sugar and vinegar while grilling.

Turkey Apple Sausage - Lititz (7 miles). Grilled. This was really delicious. I don't like sausage but I had a taste of this and I loved it. We're going to have the leftover sausage tonight for dinner.

Potatoes with Sugar Snap Peas and Basil - Potatoes from Bird In Hand (23 miles), Peas from the Masonic Home farm market in Elizabethtown (15 miles), and Basil from Schaefferstown (17 miles). Potatoes were cubed and boiled until tender and the peas were thrown in the last few minutes until tender, then drained and mixed with olive oil, salt & pepper and chopped fresh basil. Then I put it all in a foil packet and cooked it on the grill while the meat cooked.

Corn - Manheim, Nolt's farm stand (2 miles down the road). Boiled until tender, grilled for five minutes.

Homemade Root Beer - Strasburg (26 miles). Onil kept calling it Rutts beer.

Strawberry Smoothies for dessert - Strawberries from a u-pick farm in Lititz (7 miles) and milk from Kreider dairies in Manheim (2 miles). Strawberries are frozen and blended with fat-free milk. Onil also had an apple dumpling that he bought at Roots, but was made here in Manheim.

2 comments:

meresy_g said...

The sausage looks awesome. Actually everything looks awesome. I am totally copying the potatoes/peas idea. That looks so yummy! Great job. Can you tell I'm playing blog catch-up here?

Faith said...

Hee! Yes, I can!

I've tried to make roasted potatoes in the foil packet on the grill before, but you have to cook them forever and a day so they're not hard. I finally realized I could boil them most of the way and finish them off on the grill, and it worked out great. They were really tasty, too.