Thursday, August 9, 2007

One Local Summer, Meal 7

We had a pretty simple meal of just sandwiches this week. I have a confession to make. If you haven't already been able to tell, I really don't like vegetables, especially raw ones. They are always the last to be put on my plate and I can only stand them in limited quantities (except for lima beans, I could eat a truckload of those). The kids are worse than I am (except Amy loves lima beans as much as I do). Onil will eat more vegetables than me, but really, for us, it's all about the meat and starch (rice/bread/pasta/potatoes). I ate a piece of fresh raw tomato last week and nearly gagged on it. We will eat fresh fruit, though, so we've got that going for us.

Anyway, this week we just had Monte Christo sandwiches, and they were very yummy!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Ham - Kunzler Meats, Lancaster (10 miles)

Turkey - Sensenig Poultry, Lititz (7 miles)

Cheese - Guernsey's Gift, East Petersburg (5 miles)

Whole Wheat Potato Bread - Martins Bread, Chambersburg (86 miles)

Eggs - Meadow Run Farm, Lititz (12 miles)

Milk - Kreider Dairies, Manheim (2 miles)

Maple Syrup - Brennemans, Salisbury (188 miles - not within the 100 mile limit, but the closest-produced maple syrup I could find)

Potato Chips - Kay & Ray's, Chambersburg (86 miles)


~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~



I've gotten several requests for the cantaloupe juice recipe, and one for the Filipino adobo from last week. I haven't taken pictures of the preparation process for either but I'll try to describe them. If you have any questions, just ask! :o)

Cantaloupe Juice

Ingredients:
    1 Cantaloupe
    2 tbsp. Sugar, Brown Sugar or Honey (we like honey the best)
    Water
    Ice

Cut cantaloupe in quarters and remove seeds. Scrape out the inside flesh with this tool (Onil says a fork works well, too). Do this all in a bowl to catch the juices. Put the the scrapings and the juice in a pitcher and add the sweetener; stir to dissolve. Top off with ice and water and stir. Refrigerate and serve cold with juice and scrapings (you may want to include a spoon or a wide straw).

The link for Market Manila also suggests adding a little lemon juice or fresh mint to your cantaloupe juice. I'm not so sure about the lemon juice, but the fresh mint sounds like a great addition and something we're going to have to try in the future. If you're not going to serve it to kids, a little white wine also might be interesting.


Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo

Ingredients:
    Bone-in Chicken parts (I use 2 breasts & 2 thighs, and I remove the skin)
    1 small Onion, sliced
    8 cloves Garlic, chopped
    3/4 c. low-sodium Soy Sauce
    1/2 c. Cider Vinegar
    1/2 c. Water
    2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
    1 tbsp. Peppercorns
    1 Bay Leaf

Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick spray and layer chicken pieces in slow cooker. Top with onion and garlic. Mix together soy sauce, vinegar, water and brown sugar until sugar dissolves; pour into slow cooker. Add peppercorns and bay leaf. Cook on high for one hour and turn down to low for five or six hours. Serve with rice.

9 comments:

TURBOchic said...

Good Job! It seems that you are much more committed to you OLS than I am! I getting there though. I have put up a new post with the recipe you requested on it! Happy cooking! (Don't you hate those people who use a ton of exclamation points?! Me too!)

meresy_g said...

Nothing wrong with sandwiches. Plus its been so awfully sticky and hot, who feels like cooking. Thanks for the recipe.

Peg said...

What great local options right there in your backyard. I'm wondering if it would be completely crazy to try and make a vegetarian or even fish adobo?

But I'm definitely making cantaloupe juice!

Faith said...

Jen - Thanks for the recipe. I'm not sure when I'll get around to making tomato sauce, but I'm going to keep the recipe.

Meredith - I meant to tell you that I've been finding some farm stands that sell lima beans. I found one today that sold them for about $2 a pound. I've been blanching and freezing them. Awesome!

Peg - I think you could make a vegetarian adobo with tofu or maybe additional vegetables, but I'm not sure how that would alter the flavor. I know it has a better flavor when I make it with bone-in chicken as opposed to boneless chicken. I don't think fish would work in adobo; I don't think it would stand up to the strong flavors. But far be it from me to discourage anyone from trying something new -- give it a try!

mary grimm said...

Thanks for posting the canteloupe juice recipe--I really want to try this. I'm thinking maybe of using club soda instead of plain water. Maybe a hint of lime juice? (I agree that lemon might be too sour.)

meresy_g said...

I think my limas are about ready, but not for sure, since this is the first time I've grown them. I am excited about baked lima beans in the fall!

Christy said...

The sandwiches look good. We haven't tried the whole wheat potato bread yet, how does it compare to the normal potato bread.

Faith said...

Lucette - Club soda sounds nice, like a cantaloupe soda. You could probably jazz this recipe up any number of ways, although don't tell my purist Filipino husband that.

Meredith - Can't wait to see the appearance of your baked limas (I'm betting they'll be at your Thanksgiving meal). I've never blanched and frozen vegetables before, so hopefully the limas I've been saving will taste okay over the winter.

Christy - I couldn't really taste the difference between whole wheat and regular potato breads. Whole wheat is just as delicious as regular. If I had to come up with something, I'd say that maybe the wheat cuts the sweetness of the bread a little bit -- but really, it's hardly noticeable.

Katherine Gray said...

Love the cataloupe juice idea! Horchata (something similar, but with milk) was one of my favorite drinks when I lived in Cali. I can make this with our local honey.